Gear Kit Instructions:
LJ P3005, M3027, M3035
- Gear, 20T/20T, RU5-0956 (A in Fig. A)
- Gear, 20T, RU5-0957 (B)
- Gear, 17T/17T, RU5-0958 (C)
- Gear, 19T, RU5-0959 (D)
To cure gear noise in the P3005, replace the gears in the P3005 Gear Kit, and also the fuser. If you don’t replace the fuser, the noise may actually increase, even if the fuser gear appears unworn.
- Remove Back Cover. Open the Rear Output Bin and press down to release two door-stops, then remove the two screws. Lift the bottom of cover to disengage tabs. Finally, lift away from printer.
- Remove I/O Cover. Rotate it to the left and pull.
- Remove Duplexer Inlet Guide. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to carefully release two tabs (Fig. B). Slide the guide out the rear.
- Disconnect three cables. See Fig. B.
- Remove four screws. See Fig. B.
- Remove fuser. Tilt it toward the rear of the printer and slide it out.
As these gears look alike, be careful not to mix them up.
- Remove the fuser thrust stopper (E in Fig. A). Grasp it with a pliers and pull it off of the shaft. Be careful not to drop it inside the printer. When re-installing this piece, orient it with the open side facing into the printer, and make sure it snaps onto the shaft.
- 20t/20t double gear (A in Fig. A ). This gear sits directly under the thrust stopper and can now be slid off the shaft. Note that it is impossible to install the new gear incorrectly – it only fits on the shaft one way.
- 20t gear (B in Fig. A). Slide it off the shaft. When installing the replacement, the side with the lip on it should be up against the printer wall.
- 17t/17t gear & 19t gear. On the 17t/17t gear (C in Fig. A), pry the retaining tab away from the shaft and pull off the gear. Then slide off the 19t gear (D) and replace both gears.